EWG seeks a masters or doctoral level scientist with a commitment to the environment and a desire to advocate for public health protection through innovative research.
- Develop original studies – science and policy analyses – that inform consumers and educate policy makers and the media on the health effects of toxic contaminants in water, air, food and consumer products.
- Produce written reports, some for publication in peer-reviewed journals, on chemical pollution and human health.
- Compile, analyze and manage data on toxicity of product ingredients and environmental contaminants. You will be a member of the team that builds and maintains EWG's popular online databases rating the safety of cosmetics, tap water, cleaning products, sunscreen, and other common sources of chemical exposures.
- Assess, maintain and expand the body of toxicology data held within the databases and manage researcher assistants who help you carry out this work;
- Work in collaboration with EWG policy and communication experts to develop frameworks and methods for assessing and presenting toxicology information to the public.
- Help EWG transform company practices and national policy to reduce people's exposures to chemicals that pose risks to health.
- Support EWG work on advancing policy measures to protect Americans from chemical exposures from water, air, food and consumer products.
- Masters or PhD in toxicology.
- 3 or more years of experience in related position for corporate, government or non-government organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, work independently, and also contribute expertise to multidisciplinary project teams.
- Familiarity with writing and editing scientific materials for a general audience.
- Solid track record within the fields of toxicology and environmental health and experience in designing research projects that examine health effects of chemical contaminants.
- Knowledge of federal environmental policy is preferred.
- The position requires ability to work in a fast paced setting, efficiency with transition to new projects and commitment to the mission of the organization.
Send a cover letter, resume and writing sample of scientific material written for general audience to [email protected].
Location: Washington, DC.